Friday, December 31, 2004

Cheers to the New Year

Every once in a while, I'll find myself asking the question "What are tenterhooks, anyway?" Then I remember that I have access to Ye Olde Interweb, where all the answers are.

I'm so fucking happy to be alive at this time in human history, I really am. Epecially living in Canada, where life is easy street every single day. I do my forty hours per in an air-conditioned office, and for that meager sacrifice I live a better life than the wealthiest royalty from two hundred years ago could ever dream of. I eat food that is delicious and relatively bacteria free. I live in a solidly build house that is warm in the winter and cool in the summer. The city I live in has low instances of crime and poverty. When night comes I flick a switch and the lights come on. When I need exercise I go to the local gym, which is clean and has well-maintained equipment. I have a lot of leisure time, and a lot of ways to spend it. And when I have a question, I ask all of humanity, to which I am connected through a small glowing box. To my eyes, the future of the world has never looked better, despite what all of the doomsayers have to say.

One of my goals in the coming year is to post more about the positive aspects of the world we live in, from a decidely conservative/libertarian viewpoint. I hope that those who read this blog come away sharing my sense of optimism. I'll still do the occasional fisking, and I'll probably carp and moan about this or that insignificant political development. But my overall aim is to provide a view of the world. Because life is good.

Thanks in advance for your continued reading.

PS - tenterhooks are the hook-y parts of a tenter. Go figure.

PPS - Just so you know, a tenter is a device used to hold up and stretch out a drying piece of material. Used in a metaphorical context, saying someone is "on tenterhooks" means that they are being held up and exposed in a slightly undignified way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home